by Malahide Historical Scoiety
Just before the entrance to Seapark stands Muldowney House, once the home of Malahide’s famous landscape painter, Nathaniel Hone. He was born in 1831 and at the age of twenty-two he went to Paris to study painting. He remained in France for seventeen years observing and painting with famous artists of the Barbizon school. In 1872, he married Magdalen Jameson of the Jameson distilling family.After a short sojourn in Seafield House at Kilcrea on the northern shore of the estuary, they moved to Muldowney House. They lived here until 1895 when they moved to St. Doulagh’s Park following the death of his Aunt Dorothea at her home there. Thereafter, Hone’s brother-in-law, the Rev. William Reid, resided in Muldowney House until his death in 1912. Hone became a member of the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1880 and accepted an R.H.A. professorship in 1894. While at Muldowney House, he spent his time painting, sketching, sailing, yacht racing and golfing. The changing light and seascapes of Malahide attracted him. He had a studio and a gallery at Muldowney House and painted one of his best known works, Malahide Sands from his window, which still overlooks the beach. When Nathaniel died in 1917, his wife bequeathed the greatest part of his collection to the National Gallery of Ireland. Hone, Reid and Richard Wogan, 5th Baron Talbot founded Malahide Golf Club on the foreshore and land around the house in 1892.