As you are aware Donabate Parish Hall has recently been undergoing repair & refurbishment. The electrics have been upgraded thanks again to grant aid received from The Department of Rural & Community Development operated by FCC Local Community Development Committee. The work was done by Karl Harte and his team.The Parish Hall has a long history of local businesses being involved in refurbishment work. Peter Conway of Keelings Pub is photographed in front of the main door; which he made over 40 years ago while he was working with Donabate Steelworks.We are open for most activities for the last few months; under Covid guidelines and look forward to full opening as soon as possible.

Leithinis Donabate Portrane CCE held a socially distanced Gig in the Gazebo session in the grounds of the Parish Hall in early October. It gave our members a chance to practice some tunes together before our new term of classes resumed and allowed some local residents to see what Comhaltas is all about. It was well attended and a great afternoon was had by all.We were granted €1,000 towards the cost of a laptop and 24 folding chairs from the Community Enhancenent Programme 2021 funded by the Department of Rural and Community Development and operated by Fingal County Council’s Local Community Development Committee. We made great use of the chairs and the Gazebo (which was bought from a grant from Fingal County Council earlier in the year) at the Gig in the Gazebo session.Thanks again to Fingal County Council for their support over the last 2 years. Our classes in Tin whistle, Flute, Bodhran, Fiddle, Accordion and Concertina have resumed. If you are interested in learning a traditional Irish instrument please email us at leithinis@comhaltas.net. Further details about our teachers etc, can be found in our webpage leithinis.com

As we tentatively get back to normal, Donabate Portrane Men’s Shed is extending our range of activities. Along with our regular Thursday morning get-togethers at the Scouts’ Den on Portrane Road, a group of shedders meet on Tuesday mornings for croquet at Newbridge House, where I’m told “no quarter is given” in highly competitive matches. On the other hand, the work at our plots at Turvey Allotments is a model of cooperation, where several members are keeping things going over the winter months using our greenhouse funded by Fingal Camber Community Fund and materials grant-aided by the Department of Rural and Community Development through the Community Enhancement Programme operated by Fingal Local Community Development Committee. In the new year, we hope to start our weekly exercise classes again and resume our occasional outings to places of interest. We also hope to get involved in a project to make owl boxes, but more about that next month. If you’d like to join us, please contact our PRO, Jim, on 086-3694316.


Cllr Adrian Henchy has welcomed a report on the current status of the Donabate Malahide ‘Broadmeadow’ Greenway. The Fianna Fail Councillor said the report stated , “A significant amount of work has been ongoing on this project since the granting of planning permission:That work included: A full topographical survey of the route has been completed, a ground investigation contract has been completed along the railway causeway between Bissets Strand, Malahide and Kilcrea, Donabate and further elements of the ground investigation, which were delayed initially by Covid 19 is scheduled to mobilise to site in October. There has also been an Ecology walkover survey of the site has been completed. An Advance works contract for site clearance and fencing of the CPO lands is scheduled for October. FCC property, valuation and engineering team are engaging with landowners affected by the CPO. Application for a foreshore license and lease from the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government. This process usually takes at least 12 months.Draft detailed drawings have been submitted to the Council by the appointed consultants RPS for the route from Kilcrea to Newbridge House, Donabate. Draft detailed design drawings for the route from Malahide Demense to Bissets strand are expected shortly. Irish Rail have indicated that the detailed design of the main estuary bridge should be complete by the end of October. A significant amount of time has been spent by the project team on the examination of the causeway, in particular the northern causeway where significant challenges remain in achieving the required greenway width. Noting all of the above, there remain significant risk items in particular around the foreshore consent process and resolving the northern causeway issue. Notwithstanding that, the current timeline is: Ground investigation contracts Q2 2022, 4 months duration, Landward works commencing Q1 2023, 6 months duration, Estuary bridge and causeway construction 2023-2024 (two years duration,allowing for ABP conditions with respect to works restrictions i.e. works only permitted during summer months).” Overall Cllr Henchy said he welcomes the progress so far and looks forward to the project continuing to be enhanced in the near future.
Corina Johnston, Labour Party Local Area Representative has called on Fingal County Council to prioritise the opening of the proposed pedestrian access to Newbridge Demesne off the Hearse Road adjacent to the Semple Woods Estate. Johnston said; “ a temporary entrance into Newbridge Demesne opposite Semple Woods on the Hearse Road was closed in July 2020. Since then an increasing number of residents now living in the vicinity of the Hearse Road have to walk along a narrow and dangerous footpath to access the Demesne. Hence the urgency for the new access.” Johnston continued; “The provision of this access is an objective in the Local Area Plan for Donabate and a condition in the planning permission for Semple Woods.The planning permission for the Semple Woods stipulates that prior to the 201st house being sold and occupied in the estate a new pedestrian and cycle bridge across the Dublin - Belfast railway line connecting the development to Donabate village via Smyths pub and a link to Newbridge Demesne on the Hearse Road via the toucan crossing shall be provided and operational.“Johnston said; “In response to our ongoing representations Fingal County Council confirmed earlier this year that the proposed entrance to the Demesne could not be opened until a safe access and crossing was provided as the sight lines along this stretch of the road were not sufficient to allow for safe crossing. Improvement works including the provision of a high level traffic light at the new toucan crossing on the Hearse Road were undertaken. A Road Safety Audit has also been undertaken, the results of which are still awaited.“ Johnston concluded; “Fingal County Council needs to publish the results of the Road Safety Audit so that any issues raised in the report can be addressed to enable the opening of the new entrance to proceed. Apart from meeting the requirements of the planning permission and objectives of the Local Area Plan the access will improve the health and safety concerns for pedestrians and cyclists accessing Newbridge Demesne from the Hearse Road. Therefore it must be prioritised.”
September was a busy month for our athletes as they returned to school and term time routines. It was a busy time for our committee too, although we won’t return to activities until later in the month when everyone has adjusted to back to school, there is plenty of work being done in the background.Our club is hugely popular and well supported; our only “problem” is that we have a waiting list of young athletes eager to join us. Our plans for expansion include the launch of our athletics club in the coming weeks, we also look forward to offering other sports in future. Expansion into other sports will serve several purposes; to allow our young athletes to graduate and move onto a sport which suits them, to make room for the athletes on our waiting list and give our athletes a chance to take part in competitive sports if they wish.T his year we will be introducing our young athletes to Bocce; this is a game closely related to bowls and boule, which originated in Italy. In parts of Italy It is a very inclusive sport which can be played by people of all ages and skill levels, and you can use just about anything as a bocce court.Over the past few months several of our volunteers have competed the Bocce officials course, and our club athletes took part in the virtual Bocce competitions organised by Special Olympics Ireland both rounds of virtual competitions and all thoroughly enjoyed taking part.Finally we are very proud that we have 5 nominees from our club for the Special Olympics Ireland Volunteer Awards 2021. We are lucky to have the most amazing volunteers at virtual and live sessions and others who work quietly behind the scenes; it is wonderful to see that our members took the time to make the nominations and show how much they appreciate their hard work.

This has been a historic year for us all for a myriad of reasons but a special year for St Pats in that they held 2 Mini All Ireland tournaments. Their rescheduled 2020 one was held in June but the actual 2021 tournament ran from 30 August - 04 September. And like all the best movie promos - this one was bigger and better! With over 400 children taking part in either the GAA or LGFA tournament, it was a tremendous success and allayed the back-to-school woes for a few days at least. The Academy section was for children born 2014 & 2015. The Junior section was for those born 2012 & 2013 while boys and girls born 2010 & 2011 were in the Intermediate Section. The Senior - and most seriously contested section - was for boys and girls born 2007, 2008 & 2009.The winners of the Senior Cup were Armagh in the GAA section: Cian Latham, Colum MacQuaile, Conor Tighe, Dáire Turner, James Casey, James McElhinney, Moses Harley, Sam Kealy & Seamus Moore.The Wexford girls came out on top in the LGFA tournament: Beibhinn Mythen, Ella Higgins, Erin Finn, Lily Hyland, Lily Maher, Lucy Sheridan, Molly McDonald, Sadhbh Finnegan & Tiana Whelan.The tournament is the highlight of the juvenile calendar and this year was no exception. Kudos to all the children who took part - from beginer to experienced, everyone put their heart & soul in to each game. The standard of football on display was impressive.Also impressive was the work of the scores of volunteers whose trojan work made the week run so smoothly. The Club have asked us to thank everyone involved Their social media tagline is #ProudToBePats and seeing how well run their MAI 21 was, you’d be hard-pressed to disagree with that. Maith sibh go leir!

Donabate Parish Hall reopened for activities about a month ago with full adherence to COVID guidelines - since then e. g. Irish Dancing, Senior Citizens and Flower Arranging have started, to name a few. The Donabate Portrane Dramatic Society is coming soon in mid October with some exciting new productions, taking place during our three week cultural slot. The hall is newly refurbished thanks to Fingal County Council grant aid and The Parish Hall Committee. There are still some spaces available to rent, so if you are interested, please contact Bernie in the Parish Office ASAP

When Donabate parkrun had to stop due to the pandemic after event number 224 on Saturday 7th March 2020 we assumed it would be for a short break. There were 80 lost Saturdays before we were able to resume on 25th September 2021 for a welcome return. Runners, joggers and walkers of all ages and abilities are welcome to join us each Saturday at 9:30am for the free, timed 5k event. We meet in front of Newbridge House. Remember to register once at https//www.parkrun.ie/register/ (NB: not accessible through here) then print off your barcode and bring it or your parkrun wristband with you to get a result. We would also love to hear from anyone who would like to volunteer at any of our events. All roles are easy and full training is given on the morning of events. It’s a great way to meet new people and have fun. Please contact us by sending a message to our Facebook page Donabate parkrun. We would like to wish our new Event Director Patrick Phillips the best of luck in his new role. Patrick has taken over the baton from Sean Greensit who has stepped down six years after helping to bring parkrun to Donabate.

It is hard to believe that we are back attending classes. We have waited so long and now it is happening. On the 20 September we started back. We have had to meet various requirements to make sure we stay safe while we are together. Masks are worn during classes and the duration has moved from classes of one hour to 45 minutes each class. This allows us to then have time between uses of the studios to sanitise the whole room and any equipment that may have been used. Thanks to all members who have volunteered to do the sanitising between the classes. Some classes have yet to start and these will probably start around the beginning of November. We feel that we need to get up and running with the easier ones (without equipment) before we take on the more complicated logistically.We had to meet the challenge of not using cash if at all possible and we are now equipped to take all credit or debit cards. The photo above shows Alain giving us a lesson on the use of the machine. By the time you are reading this we will all know if we are latent shopkeepers! We still owe money to some… we still have a few members who were with us in 2020 when we had to shut down classes. Remember, you may be carrying a small credit balance with us and we would encourage you to make contact and renew your membership card by just using some of your balance. If you want to do this, please email us on activeageforall@gmail.com or text the AAfA mobile 086 8806808 and let us know. Don’t forget that your new card will give you discounts in the usual suppliers. If you are new to the area or new to retirement – you just need to be 55+ - you can call in to DPCC and collect an AAfA New Member form and fill it out and leave it for us, or email us at the address above and we email a form out to you. We can make contact and will do our best to include you in classes as soon as possible.