THEN & NOW - The Old Borough School, Swords

THEN & NOW - The Old Borough School, Swords

By Mike Power

This famous Swords building opened its controversial doors on the 18th February 1809, a couple called Joseph and Anne Carmichael being the first principals. The name chosen ‘Old Borough’ recalls the ancient autonomous status of Swords as a ‘free, self-governing’ town (Borough).) Francis Johnson (1760-1829) was the architect.

The money to build this school came from the financial bonanza accruing to Swords at the Act of Union (1801) in compensation for the loss of its two MP’s (£1,500). The school was specifically set up both to educate the poor of the village, and to prepare them to become productive members of the ascendancy-controlled Swords of that day. As well as the 3 Rs, students were also (frugally) fed, learned practical skills - needlework (girls) and apprenticeships (boys). The school also provided coal and free medical care to regular attendees, a great incentive to attend for the’ poorer classes. There was also intense competition within the school for both academic and good conduct prizes, usually being money.

The ethos of this school was overwhelmingly Protestant, Irish never having being taught and the strict Protestant bible used for religious instruction. As time went on, however, more and more Catholic families began withdrawing their children (1830s -1853) from the school in protest at the school’s Protestant character. This situation was only finally resolved in 1855 when a new Catholic school (Seatown Rd.) was opened. It took until 1887 for the allotted funds to be equitably shared between both religious communities in Swords. An emblematic tale of Sword’s past...?

Email Mike l:mp9211198@gmail.com.

5 SL 01 Then
/ Features, History, Swords Local News